Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua implosion sparks bitter boxing furore
Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua are not taking the implosion of their $200 million mega fight too well, taking to social media in a bitter mud-slinging match.
The unification showdown between the pair is arguably the most anticipated heavyweight battle in many years but despite being announced earlier in the week, it fell apart just as quickly.
Watch Boxing Live & On-Demand on Kayo. Selected international fights, classic bouts and more. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
It comes as a US judge ruled in favour of Deontay Wilder, forcing Fury to fight the American before September 15, throwing the unification bout into disarray.
It would make it a trilogy between the pair after a 2018 draw, followed by a seventh round TKO from Fury in 2020.
There were reports that Wilder would step aside for $A25m but US promoter Bob Arum and Wilder’s trainer Malik Scott refused.
“Wilder declined and had no interest in step-aside money. Y’all dealing with a whole different type motherf***a over here,” Scott posted.
“He want the blood, not that step-aside money. ‘Retribution is upon us’.”
Arum also told ESPN: “We’re not paying Wilder to step aside. It’s better to get rid of him and go about our business. We can make the Fury-Joshua fight for November or December.”
Tyson Fury definitively beat Deontay Wilder last time they fought.Source:AFP
But the news hasn’t gone well with Joshua and Fury with the pair trading blows on social media.
[email protected]_Fury the world now sees you for the fraud you are.
You’ve let boxing down!
You lied to the fans and led them on. Used my name for clout not a fight.
Bring me any championship fighter who can handle their business correctly.
Fury hit back, tweeting: “@anthonyjoshua your more full of s*** that Eddie, Spouting absolute s***e! your full team knew there was an Arbitration going on, it was out of my hands! but i tell you what if i’m a fraud let’s fight this weekend bare knuckles till 1 man quits? let’s put up 20 mill each!!!”
Joshua fired right back, saying he’s “slap your bald head & you’ll do nothing” after slamming him for announcing the fight despite the arbitration.
Fury added: “i’ll smoke wilder first then you will get yours aswell.”
not going in to the details on line!
you’ll slap me about will you dosser please come and try Bum, i’m waiting… Femi AKA Bottlejob! 24/7 365. Ready. i’ll smoke wilder first then you will get yours aswell. #GKhttps://t.co/Led1X54PhS
That wasn’t all with Joshua writing on social that he wanted to set up a GoFundMe to raise the money to pay Wilder so he cold fight Fury next.
AJ has hit hard.Source:Getty Images
But Fury is no shrinking violet.Source:Getty Images
Fury also took a shot at Wilder, who famously complained after the fight that his legs were fatigued by a 45-pound costume during his walkout.
With the move meaning that Fury-Joshua is likely on the backburner for now, Matchroom Boxing’s Eddie Hearn took to YouTube to point out what the next steps were for the WBA (Super), IBF, WBO, and IBO heavyweight champion.
“I have been focusing on Plan A. The only fight we had our mind on was Tyson Fury,” Hearn said. “We hope that that fight can still take place on August 14th.
“The game changed last night where we have to have a plan B in place, and probably a plan C as well.
“We have a couple of different options; of course, the one that springs to mind immediately is the WBO mandatory of Oleksandr Usyk.
“They have been quite patient and I think really, we are in a situation where if Team Fury don’t get themselves together, get their act together, by the end of this week, we will have no option but to look for an alternative fight.”
I guess like the rest of the world we’ll have to watch this space.
Source: Read Full Article