Fan in critical condition after brawl between Blackpool and Burnley supporters

  • Bookmark
  • For the latest from the pitch sign up for our football newsletter

    We have more newsletters

    A football fan has been left in a critical condition with a serious head injury after a mass brawl between supporters of Blackpool and Burnley following their match on Saturday.

    The man, who is in his 50s, was injured during a fight which broke out at The Manchester Pub, in Blackpool at 7pm on Saturday evening. Paramedics attended the scene and gave him CPR before he was rushed to hospital for further treatment.

    Police arrested a 33-year-old man in relation to the incident on suspicion of wounding with a full-scale investigation now under way. A statement from Lancashire Police said: "An investigation has been launched and a man remains in hospital in critical condition following an assault in Blackpool last night (Saturday, March 4th).

    "The incident occurred at around 7pm, when an altercation broke out involving around 15 people outside The Manchester pub, at the junction of Lytham Road and the Promenade.

    "Officers were in the area of the pub following the Blackpool v Burnley football match and they attended and found a man had suffered a serious head injury. They administered CPR at the scene and the man, aged in his 50s, was subsequently taken to hospital, where he remains.

    "It is believed the altercation broke out between a number of football fans, with the man being injured as part of this incident. At this time there is no suggestion he was specifically targeted. A 33-year-old man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of wounding and he remains in custody.

    "An investigation has now been launched and we are working with both Blackpool and Burnley football clubs to establish who else was involved in the incident and what exactly occurred. We are also asking anybody with information about what happened to get in touch."

    Burnley have also released an official statement, which read: "Burnley FC is aware of an incident involving supporters which took place in Blackpool after yesterday’s game. Lancashire Police are dealing with the incident and we are working closely with them as they continue their investigation. We cannot make further comment at this time."

    Blackpool released a similar statement which read: "Blackpool FC is aware of an incident involving supporters which took place last night that is now in the hands of Lancashire Police. The Club is in close contact with the Police as they continue their investigation and is not able to make any further comment at this stage."

    • Burnley FC
    • Blackpool FC

    Source: Read Full Article