Lewis Hamilton has greater motivation than “revenge” to beat Verstappen in 2022

Lewis Hamilton is determined to win a record eighth world title and revenge isn't a driving force, according to Sky Sports pundit Johnny Herbert.

The former F1 driver shared his thoughts on the new season and the mindset of the Mercedes racer who suffered a heartbreaking end to the 2021 season. After a two-month hiatus from social media following his controversial defeat, Hamilton returned to the Mercedes factory earlier this year and is keen to hit the ground running when the campaign begins this weekend in Bahrain.

But for those who believe Hamilton will be fuelled by revenge this season, Herbert shares an opposing view. “Some people seem to think that because of what happened last year, Lewis is going to be particularly motivated to come back for revenge,” the former Sauber driver told Betway. “That’s not Lewis’ way. Lewis is motivated to do the best he can at any given track at any part of the season. He had that hunger in 2007 and he still has it now.

“It amazes me how receptive he is to learning, even as a seven-time champion. That said, I’m sure the way that Max is pushing him does help. It’s amazing, even for me as an ex-driver, to watch the way that these guys find ways to navigate their way through the season and adapt to different races.

“Driving around Bahrain is one thing, but then going to Saudi Arabia, to Australia, back to Europe, and so on requires so much adaptability and concentration. That’s the skillset that I think is going to make this Championship and I really hope that they both turn it on.”

The 37-year-old was cruising to a record eighth F1 world title last December when a Nicolas Latfi crash took place in the race’s closing stages. Former race director Michael Masi initially instructed that lapped cars could not overtake the safety car until it left the track.

Therefore, there would not have been time for Max Verstappen to get behind his rival, after a crash involving Nicholas Latifi towards the end of the race. However, Masi controversially changed his mind, allowing the cars between Hamilton and Verstappen to unlap themselves before ordering the safety car off the track.

Therefore, the 24-year-old could get on the British driver's tail before overtaking him in a one-lap shootout, benefiting from driving on far newer tyres and went on to claim his maiden world title. Following the drama surrounding safety car rules in last season’s title decider, F1 bosses have confirmed a change to the rules and moving forward, 'all' lapped cars must un-lap themselves before a restart.

Will Lewis Hamilton win a record eighth F1 world title this year?Let us know in the comments section.

The change replaces the wording in last year's rules, which stated 'any' lapped cars between the leaders should overtake and join the back of the field before a restart after a safety vehicle has been deployed. However, the second rule in question following Abu Dhabi has now been changed – the requirement that the race must be restarted 'at the end of the following lap' after the message is relayed that lapped cars may now overtake.

This will come into operation from this weekend when the 2022 season commences in Bahrain. While it is very tough to predict the eventual winner, Herbert believes Hamilton will notch his eighth world championship crown.

“I think I’m going to go for Lewis,” he said. “Because the concept Mercedes have put together looks mighty interesting and the motivation, that burning desire, is still there.”

Source: Read Full Article