Man City star Benjamin Mendy breaks Covid rules with New Year's Eve party
Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy broke coronavirus rules by hosting a New Year’s Eve party with people outside his household.
The 26-year-old has admitted to inviting two friends and a chef to his home on Thursday evening, a clear breach of the Tier 4 guidelines which prevent people from mixing indoors.
Mendy’s New Year’s Eve bash included his partner, his niece and nephew – who are part of his bubble – and two friends outside of his household.
At 11.23pm on New Year’s Eve, Mendy posted on Twitter: ‘Happy New year. Take care of you and yours.’
City were due to play Everton on Monday but their fixture was postponed due to a coronavirus outbreak at the club.
City boss Pep Guardiola has confirmed that five players will miss his side’s trip to Chelsea on Sunday having tested positive for Covid-19.
A spokesperson for Mendy told The Sun: ‘Benjamin and his partner allowed a chef and two friends of his partner to attend his property for a dinner party on New Years Eve.
‘Ben accepts that this is a breach of Covid-19 protocols and is sorry for his actions in this matter.
‘Ben has had a Covid test and is liaising with Manchester City about this.’
Earlier this week, Guardiola revealed that his players are given daily reminders to strictly observe the guideline in place.
‘We spoke every day to the players – be careful, stay at home, don’t be in contact other people and do what you have to do,’ Guardioal said.
‘Follow the scientists and the measures we have to follow, try to follow them.’
Meanwhile, Tottenham and West Ham condemend members of their squad this week as four players mixed indoors with their families on Christmas Day.
Spurs trio Sergio Reguilon, Giovani Lo Celso and Erik Lamela and West Ham midfielder Manuel Lanzini were pictured together with their families on December 25.
A statement from Spurs read: ‘We are extremely disappointed and strongly condemn this image showing some of our players with family and friends together at Christmas, particularly as we know the sacrifices everybody around the country made to stay safe over the festive period.
‘The rules are clear, there are no exceptions, and we regularly remind all our players and staff about the latest protocols and their responsibilities to adhere and set an example. The matter will be dealt with internally.’
Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Source: Read Full Article