Nick Kyrgios suffers injury scare ahead of Wimbledon with Aussie forced out of Mallorca
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Nick Kyrgios has been forced to withdraw from the Mallorca Championships with an abdominal injury and could be in doubt for Wimbledon with the tournament less than a week away. The Aussie has been enjoying a successful grass-court season, making back-to-back semi-finals in Stuttgart and Halle, and is now hoping to be ready for another appearance at the All England Club.
Kyrgios had previously set his sights on winning Wimbledon in a previous Instagram Q&A, and has been working towards his goal with a successful run on the grass. The world No 45 made the semi-finals in both Stuttgart and Halle over the last two weeks, having defeated second seed Tsitsipas at the latter tournament.
The 27-year-old has now been forced out of the Mallorca Championships, where he was set to play Roberto Bautista Agut in the round-of-16 on Wednesday evening. “I’m really sorry I’m going to have to withdraw from tonight’s match here in Mallorca,” the Australian said in a statement.
“I have been playing a lot of great matches lately and unfortunately I woke up with a pain in my abs. I went to see the tournament doctor right away and he advised that I don’t play tonight. I really value the Mallorca Championships but I will follow his advice as I don’t want to risk Wimbledon next week.”
JUST IN: Andy Murray ‘put ego to one side’ for Lendl reunion ahead of Wimbledon
Kyrgios had successfully started his campaign in a Mallorca with a three-set battle against Laslo Djere, coming from a set down to win the match with two tiebreaks 5-7 7-6(1) 7-6(1) in two hours and 15 minutes. The former world No 13 had also been open about his love for the grass over the last few weeks.
“Well it doesn’t help there’s only four to six week a year on grass,” he said after beating Tsitsipas in three sets last week. “And as I said, if there were as many grass court tournaments in Australia as there is clay court tournaments in Europe, I’d never leave Australia. I feel like I’m one of the best on the grass.”
Williams’ ex-coach embroiled in row as ATP announces off-court coachng
Raducanu unlikely to be given Wimbledon honour as Barty makes request
Andy Murray sends Wimbledon warning to Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic
The Australian Open doubles champion famously had his breakthrough at Wimbledon when he upset then-world No 1 Rafael Nadal back in 2014, aged just 19. Kyrgios was a wildcard ranked down at world No 144 when he stunned the Spaniard 7-6(5) 5-7 7-6(5) 6-3 to make the quarter-final in his debut at the All England Club.
The six-time title winner has not made it that far at Wimbledon in the eight years since and will be targeting a deep run this year following his success on the grass so far and his Grand Slam glory at the Australian Open earlier this year, where he won the doubles title alongside close friend and countryman Thanasi Kokkinakis.
Source: Read Full Article