Toto Wolff and Zak Brown agree on penalties drivers could face in 2023

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

The crash between Sergio Perez and Carlos Sainz during qualifying at the Monaco Grand Prix could spark a rule which penalises drivers who purposely trigger red flags. Perez’s own Red Bull team-mate Max Verstappen brought the incident back to light at the Brazilian Grand Prix accusing the Mexican of ruining his qualifying session.

McLaren boss Zak Brown and Mercedes chief Toto Wolff have agreed that those seen as forcing a red flag to hinder others should lose their fastest qualifying lap. Brown addressed the F1 Commission in Abu Dhabi, who agreed that the subject should be discussed in the FIA’s Sporting Advisory Committee.

There was also an example at the Azerbaijan GP, when Alex Albon blasted Fernando Alonso who made an unforced error and triggered the yellow flags ruining his qualifying run. “I think it should be red flags or yellow flags, for effectively impeding a driver from completing their lap,” Brown told Motorsport.com.

“They do that in other forms of motorsports, the penalties, you just lose your fastest lap from that session, and all the drivers tend to do one lap runs so that would penalise the driver if it was intentional or unintentional. Because you’ve messed up someone else’s laps.

“I think that’s an easy solution, it can be implemented right away. You cause a driver to have to back out, you lose your lap, you get to go again and maybe you won’t have a chance. Maybe you will or you have to use another set of tyres. I think that’s the easiest way to solve it.”

Mercedes chief Wolff agreed with the idea, which if implemented could affect his driver Lewis Hamilton and his F1 colleagues next season. “I agree with Zak also that this is a good idea,” Wolff added. “I think it exists in Formula E, if I’m not mistaken, that your quickest lap is deleted. So that’s something that we can implement.”

DON’T MISS:

• Lewis Hamilton ‘sickie’ comment vindicated as 16 drivers beat Mercedes star in Abu Dhabi
  • Toto Wolff’s former Mercedes advisor leaves FIA role after Red Bull ‘raise eyebrows’
  • ‘We are back’ Toto Wolff makes 2023 promise to Lewis Hamilton after worst F1 season

However, how easy the rule can be implemented is a cause for concern amongst other bosses. Aston Martin’s chief Mike Krack suggested that any punishment should be dealt with on a ‘case by case’ basis and previous examples should be looked at.

F1 could copy the IndyCar’s approach to the problem which sees drivers who force flags to have their times deleted. If the same driver causes another incident in the same qualifying session they risk being removed.

Source: Read Full Article