Former BBL cricketer in court on child abuse charges
A former Big Bash League and state cricketer fronted court in Darwin on Monday, charged with possessing child abuse material and grooming a minor after his alleged behaviour was brought to the attention of cricket authorities.
Aaron Summers, 25, appeared in front of the Darwin Local Court, with police alleging that his mobile phone contained child abuse videos.
Aaron Summers, right, bowling for the Hobart Hurricanes in 2017. Credit:Getty Images
Summers played one game for the Hobart Hurricanes in late 2017 as well as three one-dayers with Tasmania, for whom he made his debut in 2018.
Summers, a fast bowler originally from Perth, had been due to play in this winter’s NT Cricket 365 tournament, an event run by Cricket Australia and featuring a host of current and former state and BBL players.
CA issued a statement to The Age and the Sydney Morning Herald on Monday.
“A matter was brought to the attention of NT Cricket and was immediately actioned in accordance with our member protection policy. In line with the policy the matter was referred to the relevant authorities and is now being handled by police,” the statement read.
No longer tied to an Australian state or BBL club, Summers earlier this year became the first Australian player to appear in Pakistani domestic cricket, playing for Southern Punjab in the Pakistan Cup. He said at the time that he had hoped the experience would help his path back into state and BBL ranks.
NT Police issued a statement in relation to the matter.
“Detectives from the Joint Anti-Child Exploitation Team (JACET) arrested a 25-year-old man in Fannie Bay on Friday afternoon for child abuse material.
“Police executed a section 3E Crimes Act 1914 (Cth) search warrant on the man and seized a mobile phone.
“Police will allege that the man’s mobile device contained a number of videos containing child abuse material. There was also evidence that the man had been in contact with up to 10 children to attempt to procure further illicit photographs.
“On 14 May 2021, Northern Territory and Australian Federal Police executed a further section 3E Crimes Act 1914 (Cth) search warrant on the man’s premises in the Darwin CBD. Police found a mobile device containing child abuse material
“The man has been charged with the following Commonwealth offences:
- Two counts of possess or control child abuse material obtained or accessed using a carriage service, contrary to section 474.22 of the Criminal Code 1995 (Cth)
- One count of use carriage service to groom a person under 16 years, contrary to section 474.27 of the Criminal Code 1995 (Cth)
“He has been remanded in custody to appear in Darwin Local Court on Monday, 17 May 2021.”
In the statement detective acting senior sergeant Paul Lawson said: “The behaviour is despicable. Young people should be able to enjoy their childhood without the fear of predators approaching them for their own appalling intentions. The Northern Territory JACET will continue to work with national and international partners to keep the most vulnerable in our community safe.”
Most Viewed in Sport
From our partners
Source: Read Full Article