Roger Federer announces clay court tease to fans as he makes return after THREE years
After three years since his last match on clay at the Rome Masters, Federer will return at next month’s Madrid Masters.
The Swiss is sitting out of this week’s Monte Carlo Masters to get adjusted to the surface.
After posting a picture of himself standing on the surface earlier in the day, Federer returned with another post, this time a video with a message to his fans.
Federer told his fans: “Hello everybody.
“So this was my first clay court hit of the season. It was good, I enjoyed it.
“Had a great time and I will post a video tomorrow when I’m hitting again.
“Take care everybody.”
After Federer won the Miami Open last month, his coach Severin Luthi said the 20-time Grand Slam winner can expect plenty of physical training with his long-time trainer Pierre Paganini to get him ready for the clay.
He said: “Roger is going to play enough on clay. It is going to be a lot of physical training at the beginning with Pierre.
“He is going to have enough time to adapt to the clay.”
Speaking at the Monte Carlo Masters on Sunday, Federer’s great rival Novak Djokovic said the clay season had missed him.
“I thought tennis was missing him definitely on clay last year,” he said.
“But I think, personally, people understood why he decided as well to skip the clay-court season last year and I also understand why he wants to play.
“Definitely for our sport, it’s better that he plays.
“He’s been playing some great tennis. Dubai, Indian Wells, Miami, he’s won two out of three, played the final in Indian Wells, [which is] as good as it gets.
“Of course [clay is] a different surface, but in Indian Wells the ball bounces quite high there, which kind of imitates the clay.
“He’s dealt with high balls really well throughout his career, so I don’t see any particular big issue playing on this surface… you always expect highs from him.”
Source: Read Full Article