Raiders say George Williams deal not done

The Canberra Raiders say they are yet to finalise a deal with George Williams amid reports the English halfback has signed a three-year deal with the club.

Raiders chief Don Furner says nothing is set in stone with Williams still contracted to the Wigan Warriors for the 2020 season.

Target: Wigan halfback George Williams is on Canberra’s radar for the 2020 season.Credit:PA

Canberra officials have been in negotiations about luring the 24-year-old to the capital next year having already welcomed Wigan duo John Bateman and Ryan Sutton to the club over the off-season.

The Raiders reportedly baulked at a huge transfer fee placed on Williams before beating the New Zealand Warriors to his signature, but Furner hosed down talk the deal is done.

It comes as Aidan Sezer and Jack Wighton prepare to link up in the halves for Canberra's NRL season opener against the Gold Coast Titans on Sunday.

Sezer is on the Raiders' books until the end of 2020 having signed a contract extension last year, while Wighton is also set to stay in Canberra for the next two seasons as he prepares for a shift to five-eighth.

"I've watched [Williams], he's a class player," Sezer said.

"Anytime the club is trying to acquire a quality player, it's always a positive. That's next year, we've got a year ahead of us and we're looking forward to Sunday."

Fellow Raiders half Sam Williams is off-contract at the end of 2019.

Source: Read Full Article